Published November 2016
Read Scripture daily. Respond to Scripture daily. Pray daily.
Study the whole Bible in a year with J. Ellsworth Kalas.
The Grand Sweep: 365 Days from Genesis through Revelation guides adults to read through the Bible in a year, reading three to four chapters daily. The Psalms and Proverbs are scattered throughout the reading as devotional elements. Because the plan moves through the Bible in biblical sequence, readers grasp the grand weep of the Scriptures--something missed in most Bible studies that take up only a certain book or section of the Bible. Also, daily readings are manageable; someone who is just beginning a serious devotional life need not feel threatened or inadequate. By the time readers finish their year of reading, they will have a grasp of the biblical story from beginning to end. And with it, because of the daily discipline, a stronger devotional life. Kalas also provides a faithful daily summary of each day's reading, but with a devotional quality to encourage warmth of spirit as well as knowledge of mind. Congregations, study groups, and individuals can begin The Grand Sweep at any time during the year with this study. Allow at least 30 minutes daily when using this resource. Includes a reflection from son David Kalas and selected quotations from Kalas's 35 books.
The book includes:
- Questions or directions and daily devotional summary/commentary for Days 1-7 each week call for written response to the assigned Scripture and provide a devotional element.
- "Prayer Time" suggests a focus for daily and weekly praying and invites you to identify persons and concerns for prayer.
- "How the Drama Develops" summarizes the week's Scripture and situates it in the ongoing biblical story.
- "Seeing Life Through Scripture" invites you to view life through the lens of Scripture in order to draw guidance and insights for living. Think of yourself in conversation with Scripture.
- "The Sum of It All" in a verse or verses, sums up the week's Scripture. Over the course of fifty-two weeks, the verses become a synopsis of the biblical story.
The Grand Sweep is designed for personal use. The added component of a Leader Guide enables congregations and study groups to share the experience. It provides an overview of how to use the book as a study, along with specific content for weekly, monthly, or occasional group meetings.